Thursday, October 7, 2021

The Big Ten was Jobbed by ESPN ...

The Devil's Puppet Master
I mentioned in an earlier post who The Big Ten was passed over by Gameday.  I have been thinking more deeply on the topic.  If you are a college football fan other than the SEC conference, this should be a concern.   #3 Iowa v. #4 Penn State is the most highly ranked/rated game so far this year.   What makes this even more concerning is after  #1 Alabama and #2 Georgia there isn't really a clear cut #3.   However the game in Iowa City should set the winner up for a nice run toward the college football playoff, and solidify #3 status.   

Yet ESPN Gameday choose to travel to Dallas Texas and set up shop at Jerry World to cover the #6 Oklahoma and #21 Texas game.   What, what, why?   I believe it is a little reward for the two Big 12 defectors leaving for the SEC.   This is a subtle way of propping up The SEC and making everyone else outside of the SEC second class citizens.     I could speak about the merits of the teams and why I believe OU and Texas are a less desirable game (even though I am not in favor of propping up The Big Ten).   But, the merits don't matter anymore.   ESPN is the puppet master.   It is kind of a cynical way of looking at it - I know.      

In 2024 The SEC is entering into an exclusive Television deal with ESPN/ABC (both owned by Disney), already done.   The Big Ten Television deal is also up for negotiation in 2024, currently it is split between ESPN and Fox a nonexclusive deal.  As much as I enjoy watching my friends in the Big Ten get jobbed, I do not enjoy watching the ESPN puppet master.  I will get a chuckle from watching the Big Ten get there's.  

When the conference realignment story broke.   My Iowa friends acted like it was no big deal and The Big Ten would be fine.   I believe you would have to start to question that, after an alliance announcement, and your crown jewel, Ohio State getting beat by the Oregon ducks.  Realignment may affect your conference more than you think.  Need I remind you that you have new commissioner in The Big Ten.   So, I ask you Iowa fan, do you still think OU and UT leaving The Big 12 has no affect on you and The Big Ten?   There will be more to this story, lock it in - The Big Ten will feel an affect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment