Thursday, December 2, 2021

OU and Notre Dame what's the message?

Brian Kelly leaves Notre Dame for LSU and Lincoln Riley leaves Oklahoma to go to USC.   Did OU and Notre Dame, historic Blue Bloods just turn Red?   

Presumably Lincoln Riley is leaving OU, because Oklahoma is moving to the SEC sometime between now and 2025.   Yes, the SEC has a treasure chest of resources, recruiting, and publicity.   But, I think Riley looked at the terrain and said, I don't want to face Alabama (Auburn is East of Tuscaloosa, and would likely move to the Eastern Division with entrance of OU & UT), LSU, Texas A&M, Texas, and Mississippi State, and Ole Miss every other week - where is the off week.   While going to The PAC 12 at USC you really only have one major "Get Up Game" Oregon every year that you have to prepare for annually.   He said, "sign me up the for the conference I can own much like I did The Big 12 for many years, West Coast here I come.  Load up the truck we are moving to Beverly."   5 Star Back Commits to USC

Brian Kelly became the winningest coach all-time at Notre Dame passing the Legend Knute Rockne this season.   However, Notre Dame is independent - they have NOT won a National Championship since Lou Holts in 1988.   Recruiting to Indiana, recruiting to higher educational standards, and doing it with fewer resources I think got Kelly to thinking.   Kelly's Internal monologue, "Self - I'm 60 its time I get paid, Saban is 70, I can outlast that raisin, I think it might be easier to recruit at LSU and win championship.   Let's see in 2003 Nick Saban did it, in 2007 Les Miles did it, in 2019 did it - at LSU.  Maybe this Notre Dame tradition isn't all it is cracked up to be.   Show me the money - Jerry Maguire style."   

Almost every analyst that I read or listened to had both of these situations totally misjudged.   I think the surprises in College Football are just beginning - I'm expecting a few more this year and it has been fun.  As for OU and Notre Dame perhaps they are the Blue Blood destinations they used to be.   Lou Holtz sounds of on Brian Kelly in the video below.  



No comments:

Post a Comment