Monday, November 15, 2021

How do you feel ??? What could have been.

The Cyclones are bowl eligible.   They currently sit at 6-4 and have lost 2 of the last 3.  It was fun beating Texas, it always is fun to beat Texas.  Texas has lost 5 in row and it kind of feels like a hollow win.  

If you had asked me if the Cyclones would be 6-4 at this point in the season before we played a game - I would have said, "you are crazy."   I guess I'm the crazy one.   This is going to come across as anti-cyclone, but I have to say this season has been the biggest disappointment for This Cyclone fan since the Gene Chizik era.   

With the talent and upper classmen leadership I expected more this year.   Much more.   #1. I expected a win against Iowa, we lost by 10.   We lost to a good Baylor team by 2 points in 122 heat.   But, I feel like we should have won that game.   West Virginia and Texas Tech on the road losses, I get it.   It is difficult to win in the Big 12 particularly on the Road - see Oklahoma State.   

This season is going to go down as the season that could have been.   We are going to look back and remember a talented team that did not live up to their hype, potential, or talent level.   Remember when there was discussion of Iowa State being in the College Football playoff.   I never believed that hype, but expected much more at this point in the season. 

The most discouraging thing is Campbell could be on the move.   This year more than any other I'm sounding the alarm.   Because of the amount of money that is stake in college football, coaches are losing their jobs quicker and universities are becoming less patient.  This year more than any I can remember there is going to be a big shift in many coaching positions.   Currently, USC, LSU, Washington State, Washington are all looking for new coaches in Power 5 leagues.  Jobs that will likely come open are Florida, and very possibly Texas.   This means coaches that have a high pedigree, and have previous coaching experience at the Power 5 level are going to be getting calls and tempted with big time dollars.   

If Campbell leaves for the money and a bigger conference, school, opportunity - it will make this season sting all that much more.   For this guy there is already a lot of sting.   I said, early in the year after the Iowa game that we could lose 2 more game and go 9-3 (without bowl game) and still be one of our best years ever.   Even if Iowa state wins out and goes 8-4 it feels like a real punch in the gut.   It leaves me feeling like the year of "What Could Have Been."  As a small consolation prize, at least Texas has lost 5 in row - Best of luck in the new conference Horns Down.   

No comments:

Post a Comment